40 million people are trapped in modern slavery
One in four enslaved people are children under 18 years – 10 million children
In 2016, the International Labour Organization estimated there are 40 million people trapped in modern slavery around the world, more than any other time in history.
- 20 million women and children have been trafficked into the global sex trade.
- One in four enslaved people are children under 18 years. That’s 10 million children.
- Less than 2% of those trafficked are ever rescued. 70% of those will be re-trafficked.
- Human trafficking is now the fastest growing criminal industry. It is the second largest income generating crime syndicate in the world producing $150 Billion annually, behind only drugs and arms trades.
- While only 19% of victims are trafficked for sex, sexual exploitation earns 66% of the global profits of human trafficking, adding up to $99 billion annually.
- Every 30 seconds another person is forced into slavery.